SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Independent – Freedom – Happiness
OFFICE OF PEOPLE’S PROCURACY
LONG AN PROVINCE
Doc ID: 120/QĐ/KSĐT Tan An - September 6, 2013
- In accord to Article 36, 166, 167 of the Penal Code.
- In accord to the Long An Bureau of Investigation’s 6/12/13 decision to prosecute criminal case No. 02 and the decision (same day) to prosecute Dinh Nhat Uy for “abusing the freedoms of an ordinary citizen that disrupted the government, government officials, organizations and other citizens” stated by Article 258 of the Penal Code;
- In accord to the decision from the Office of People’s Procuracy to transfer case No. 195 from the Office in Long An province to office in Tan An city for prosecution.
From the findings stated in the Final Investigation Report, the case is presented as follow:
A friend created a Facebook account with the name Dinh Nhat Uy in 2010 for Dinh Nhat Uy.
At first, Dinh Nhat Uy only used this account to send messages to friends. However from the month of November 2012 forward, after his brother Dinh Nguyen Kha was arrested for propaganda against the Socialist Republic State of Vietnam, Dinh Nhat Uy had used this account often to post news, share photos, network, and send messages.
(Suspect’s confession: record no. 97-100 and 119.)
Besides the written articles, photos, and information exchange with abnormal contents, Dinh Nhat Uy also posts bad information, misleading posts against the State, other organizations and individuals:
- The article titled “Những Đảng Viên dám nhìn sự thật” (Party members who dare to look into the truth) written on 12/19/12 narrated a conversation between two Party members in a café shop who were commenting on the State’s leaders’ ability and ways to run the country. Offensive words were used in the article; however, not further details and evidence were provided about the conversation.
(Suspect’s confession: record no. 107-109; evidence gathered; and record no. 48-49)
- Dec 12, 2012 post contains rude words, offending Mrs. Nguyen Thi Tham (who lives across from Uy’s house), vice leader of the local women group.
(Suspect’s confession: record no. 107-109; evidence gathered; and record no. 47-48)
- Jan 22, 2013 post contains information about Tuoi Tre Yeu Nuoc (Patriotic Youth) activities of posting flyers in Long An province even though Uy recognize that organization [Patriotic Youth] often conduct anti-State activities.
(Suspect’s confession: record no. 114-115; evidence gathered; and record no. 40)
- A post with rude and offensive choice of words which offends and affect the Army’s TeleCom Service Group Viettel and Vietnam TeleCom Group VNPT was written by Dinh Nhat Uy on 3/2/13.
(Suspect’s confession: record no. 112-113; evidence gathered; and record no. 33-34)
The photos and posts mentioned above resulted in a large number of viewers, shares, comments, and “likes”. They give rises to multiple comments with offensive words.
More than that, Dinh Nhat Uy introduces topics on facebook for other people to view and comments with offensive words.
For example, the shared link to article titled “Lật tẩy bộ mặt của Giải nhân quyền Hellman/Hammett” (Uncover the truth of the Hellman/Hammet Human Rights Award) from trandaiquang.net site, Uy criticized: “They even lie about things like this. This can only fool the shrimp heads out there.” Under this post, there are 18 likes and 7 comments, some with offensive words.
Suspect’s confession: record no. 104-106; evidence gathered; and record no. 43-44)
On the contents of the posts written by Dinh Nhat Uy and of the comments on those posts, according to the examination report no. 01/BB-GĐVH from an examiner of the Department of Culture, Sports, and Tourism of Long An Province, the results are as follow:
1) On the contents of the posts written by suspect Dinh Nhat Uy:
- The post on page 3 has contents that can be offensive to Viettel and VNPT, result in bad influence to the brand and the business effectiveness of these two groups.
2) On the contents of the comments:
- Some of the comments under this post have offensive contents that would affect some organizations and bureaus like Viet Nam People’s Security Bureau, Army’s Telecom Group Viettel, Vietnam TeleCom Group VNPT, and the reputation of a few related individuals.
3) The fact that suspect Dinh Nhat Uy posts those articles mentioned on his personal Facebook page and networked, shared on other Facebook pages threatened order and security of society, affecting the reputation of the People’s Security forces, and other economical groups and individuals related.
(Examination record: record no. 227-228)
In this case, there are a few organizations and individuals such as Viettel, VNPT, and Mrs. Nguyen Thi Tham, people/organizations with rights and reputation being affected who wants Dinh Nhat Uy to be lawfully prosecuted without asking for compensation.
(record no. 219, 220-226, 441-451)
Evidence collected in the case:
1) 1 black Computer CPU;
2) 1 Nokia N93i mobile phone with black case;
3) 1 book titled “Ben Thang Cuoc” (The Winning Side) and 1 book titled “Giai Phong” (Liberation) by author Huy Duc;
4) 1 book titled “Chet Boi Trung Quoc” (Death by China) translated by Tran Dieu Chan;
5) 1 A4 page with Nguyen Phuong Uyen picture and the line “Freedom for Nguyen Phuong Uyen”;
6) 1 A4 page with Dinh Nguyen Kha picture and the line “Freedom for Dinh Nguyen Kha”;
7) 1 small booklet that contains information about court process to accept and process forms in Uyên and Kha’s trial;
8) 6 T-shirts with the words “Hoang Sa – Truong Sa – Viet Nam”;
9) 2 T-shirts with slogan No To U LINE! In front and No-U FC; ERASE “COW’S TOUNGE” TO PROECT VIETNAM SEA AND ISLANDS”;
These evidence are now being held by the Police Penal Law and Court Support Office of Long An province.
(Order to seal evidence and chain of custody: record no. 438-440)
From the details above,
Stem by personal motives, Dinh Nhat Uy has written many articles and post on Facebook from Nov. 2012 to Jun. 2013 which has fabricated, defamation, and offensive contents toward the State, organizations, and individuals. These posts and articles directly affect the benefits and rights of the States, organizations, and individuals related. Moreover, Dinh Nhat Uy introduced personal opinions so others can view and comments with offensive choice of words.
Therefore, it is sufficient to conclude that the suspect below is guilty as follow:
Name: Dinh Nhat Uy – born on 6/8/13.
Mailing Address: 584, QL62, Zone 6, Tan An city, Long An province.
Residing Address: 584, QL62, Zone 6, Tan An city, Long An province.
Occupation: CEO of AT Ltd. - Education: 12/12
Ethnicity: Kinh (Minority) - Citizenship: Vietnam – Religion: Buddhism.
Father: Dinh Van Chuon, birth year: 1956
Mother: Nguyen Thi Kim Lien, birth year: 1961
Siblings: 2, one born in 1979 and the other was born in 1988. Suspect is single.
Prior convictions: none.
Suspect is being held since 6/15/2013 until now.
The activities listed above have shown that Dinh Nhat Uy has committed “abusing democratic freedoms in order to infringe upon the interests of the state, the legitimate rights and interests of organizations and/or citizens” crime stated by in Section 1, Article 258 of the Penal Code.
Article 258 regulations states:
1. Anyone who abuses freedoms of speech, press, religion, gathering, association, and other democratic freedoms in order to infringe upon the interests of the state, the legitimate rights and interests of organizations and/or citizen will be fined, re-educated for 3 years, or jailed from 6 months to 3 years.
To prosecute and trial Dinh Nhat Uy at The People’s Court of Long An province for ““abusing democratic freedoms in order to infringe upon the interests of the state, the legitimate rights and interests of organizations and/or citizens” as written in Section 1 of Article 258 of the Penal Code.
Supplement to this indictment:
+ Case files with ….. folders….. pages numbered from 01 to ……
- Office of People’s Procuracy, Tan An city.
- Office of Security Investigation, Long An Police
- Case files
---- oOo -----
- I do not post and write on Facebook with the purpose of fabricate and infringe on the benefits of other organizations and individuals as the indictment stated.
- I do not store the comments, do not have the goal to post opinions with for people’s “likes” and taking a stand against the State.
- I have written an appeal form about the contents of the final investigation report and asked the warden to send it to the Long An Office of People’s Procuracy on 8/24/13.